Unable do get full screen windows on secondaries monitor

Hi to all and huge thanks for your work. I discovered Budgie 5 month ago and it is now my working environment.
I face a problem with my 3 monitor configuration (a Thinkpad T440 laptop with a dock and two secondary monitor plugged on it)
I can’t get “full screen” window on secondary screens. Here is what I get after clicking on the “expand” button of each window.

I have to reduce the size then drag manually the corner of the widow to fit the screen in order to get something like this :

Do you have any idea about hor to solve it ?

Thanks a lot,

Mathieu

That feels like the maximise option in budgie is using the geometry of the primary window - not the monitor geometry on which the window is placed. Could be wrong though.

If you move the primary monitor in Displays to be horizontal to the other two monitors rather than below-middle of the two monitors does that make a difference?

Thanks for you answer.

Yes it does.

ok - please raise upstream here GitHub - solus-project/budgie-desktop: I Tawt I Taw A Purdy Desktop.

Do not link back here - all the info needs to be on their issue tracker.

Apologies immediately if upstream closes this as a duplicate - it may have already been raised. Do have a look through the issues upstream in-case it has already been raised.

ok thanks. I will check if the issue already exists and post a new one if not.

( Just out of curiosity )

I think the top panel on the lower screen 1 may be the culprit here.

For testing : go back to the same monitors setup as first picture.
a⋅ on the lower screen move the panel from top to bottom.
or
b⋅ without moving panel, put screen 1 above 2 and 3.

Now do windows on screens 2 and 3 expand as expected ?

Both solution are working !

The first solution is ok for work :wink:
Thanks a lot !!

1 Like

That’s good news. That observation demonstrates that this is a geometry issue … the maximise routine is calculating on the basis of the entire desktop rather than the monitor the app is on I.e. panel is now at coordinates 0,0 so its not involved in the internal maths.

Do you still want me to rise an issue ?

Yes please. It does need resolving … but it does needs a developer with 3 monitors …

1 Like

…related to how panels « block » geometry ?

I suggested those workarounds because I had played a bit with Budgie on dual monitors and noticed that position of panels seems to « obliterate » the normal use of other screens :
⋅ if you have a vertical panel on the left of the main screen, you’ll get same kind of problems with windows on monitor far left,
⋅ if you have a vertical panel on the right of the main screen, you’ll get same kind of problems with windows on monitor far right,
⋅ and so on obviously.

Invisible Budgie Panel When Panel Is Top Aligned On Vertically Stacked Displays · Issue #1225 · solus-project/budgie-desktop · GitHub
Windows placed partly outside visible desktop · Issue #1464 · solus-project/budgie-desktop · GitHub
[BUG] On dual monitor setup, windows leave space for bottom panel on wrong monitor · Issue #1349 · solus-project/budgie-desktop · GitHub

It seems panels « don’t know » on which screen they sit, sort of. Hence they draw their own window outside the boundaries of the screen they sit in, stealing the room for other windows.
Hence also maybe why we can’t have many panels per monitor ? They look to only sit inside primary monitor.

doubtful that its a panel issue per-se - the struts calculation for panel spacing is different from window placement.

As to multi panels on multiple monitors - that is indeed possible - I’ve got a test patch for that our unstable PPA. Still needs more work to make it work with monitors that disappear on the fly - and other stuff to make it more robust.

Well I can’t say about these calculations, but it’s what’s visible in the first illustration here :
⋅ the top panel of the lower screen looks to expand outside the screen itself and as an-above-all type of window ( it’s a panel after all ), covering the 2 others screens, preventing other windows to use that space.
⋅ my speculative interpretation :

I also believe it’s a panel issue.

When having 2 monitors side by side with a panel on the left side of the (primary) monitor on the right (bear with me here), maximizing a window on the left (secondary) monitor will trigger the intellihide feature of the panel (on the primary montor), while there is no active window on the primary monitor. Because the panel think it is overlapped by the window somehow.
It is not the exact same issue, and yet it’s also a matter of a panel sort of in between monitors (vertical instead of horizontal though), and it could originate from the same assumption from the panel that the windows from other monitors are overlapping on it.

I think that’s what happens :

…maybe because in that orientation the window-for-panel expands left, above/outside the primary screen.

1 Like

As @Mathieu_Bossaert said, both solutions fixed the problem, so in one of the two, panel coordinates are not 0,0 ( are 0,0 bottom left or top left ? ).

If the window-for-panel is bigger than the visible panel on primary screen, that may explain a lot.
Actually it could explain all the « bugs » regarding empty or unused space on secondary monitor⋅s.

Therefore how is the size of panels defined ? And most important, how are they « limited » do they have « boundaries » ? ( sorry I’m not sure of my choice of words here ).
Looks like a mismatch between relative or absolute values or maybe the need to « strictly » define the four « walls » of a panel.

In my case, you can rotate that secondary screen 90° to landscape mode (rather than portrait in your conceptualization), but the end result is the same as the green area in your visual result in intellihide being triggered.

Yep I’d assumed that, but portrait illustrates « better » the boundary effect, sort of, if it makes sense :wink:

I’d be curious about this setup :