Unable to access window menus

Hello, pretty much a total Linux n00b here but I’m loving it. I really enjoy Budgie too but there’s a lot of new things and I’m a bit overwhelmed.

I want to set the default view of the file manager (is it Nemo or Nautilus, no idea how to know :confused: ) to List View.

I have found this post List view in File which indicates that pressing Alt should toggle the display of the menu but it doesn’t do anything for me.

I know that there is such a thing as a Global Menu that is usually at the top and it can display the menu of the currently focused window but that doesn’t seem to work either.

I prefer to position my panel on the left side but even putting at the top doesn’t show the menu when I press Alt.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hello , Ubuntu Budgie uses Nemo by default . To display the settings menu use the alt key. With the global menu the alt key required as well. It appears you have selected the proper icon on the top right for the compact view, but I can see it doesn’t work. does logging out or rebooting change anything ?

Logging out or rebooting doesn’t change anything. When I press Alt while having the Nemo file explorer opened, nothing happens. I’m not sure how to troubleshoot that.

You have to tap the alt key to display nemo menus. Alternatively right click in the toolbar area.

Do check that you have actually added the global menu applet to the toolbar otherwise you will not see any menus.

Many apps we ship with by default do not actually have menus. That is common now with gnome based apps. Xfce, cinnamon and mate based apps mainly have menus that will display in the global menu applet

In Dconf-Editor you may set to true start-with-menu-bar in /org/nemo/windows-state

That option is not made visible in Nemo’s « graphical » preferences.

I have no idea what happened but it’s working now. I swear I was clearly hitting the Alt key while having the window focused (didn’t know about the right click though).

Anyway, thanks all for the help :slight_smile: