Unexpected / undesirable context menu / right-click delete behaviour

I understand this has to do with the switch from Nautilus to Nemo, but maybe this feedback can be passed along to the Nemo team:

Having “Delete” and “Move to Trash” in the right-click menu right on top of each other is REALLY BAD design. I already deleted something by mistake and now I can’t restore it.

I was able to work around it by opening File Manager (Nemo) -> Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour and unticking ‘Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash’, however this unfortunately also breaks the shift-delete keyboard shortcut which should bypass the trash.

Instead, I have currently left it on and checked ‘Ask before moving files to the Trash’ which also seems to prompt before permanently deleting now.

All in all this is not naturally expected behaviour for users coming from Nautilus / Windows and it would be preferable to have it updated to behave like most desktop environments / operating systems (IE the old Budgie behaviour prior to the Nemo switch).

yeah - I agree with you.

There isn’t anything though that we can do here - feedback for this needs to go back to linux mint themselves. GitHub - linuxmint/nemo: File browser for Cinnamon

I’ll use your suggestion though for the Ask before moving option and will enforce this for 20.10. We may consider this for a backport for 20.04 if we get sufficient changes in this area from other bits and bobs.

1 Like

As another workaround you may remove the « delete » option from the right-click list, through Nemo’s preferences :

…then any deleted files should end in trash thus not immediately and definitely gone.

All preferences option are also available through dconf-editor :
org.nemo.preferences swap-trash-delete false
org.nemo.preferences enable-delete false
org.nemo.preferences confirm-trash true

1 Like

I got another issue with “move to trash” and it is that one “>>” is missing.
You can look at the screenshot i made. Just a translation bug?!
On the screenshot you can see that bug when i (for example) want to move my Download folder to trash.

Sorry - I don’t speak or read german very well! If this is a translation issue - then its an issue with Nemo.

You’ll need to double check with 21.04 and the latest nemo to see if its resolved - if it isn’t then you could help fix this via how linux mint handle translations.

Thanks, i’ll check that.
It is not about the language, it should be:
**>>**Downloads<<
and not
Downloads<<

What i mean is, that the >> at the beginning are missing. You can check yourself when you click “move to trash” onto something.

Thx for the clarification - its still a nemo issue and testing the latest + raising issues (if necessary) on the linux mint github nemo tracker is the way to go here.

1 Like

When moving to Thrash in Nemo I get “Downloads” and not >>Downloads<< or Downloads<< in the confirmation prompt.
Might not be just a Nemo issue.

Also, I personally love that I can bypass the thrash. I never use the Thrash, and there’s a confirmation prompt also for Delete in the context menu or after Shift+Delete, I’ve never erased anything inadvertently.
It really seems very natural and intuitive to me, and quite flexible actually when you can enable or disable confirmation prompts for both or remove the Delete part altogether.

I’d say it’s an issue with the quotation marks, and how they should be « translated » form a language to another…

« » or “ ” or " " and other ways I don’t know.

It’s like alphabetical sorting and accented letters, non-english speakers will pay attention to these.