Wifi icon gone rogue: 18.04

Checked with other icon sets and the problem seem to be with Pocillo icon pack or how Budgie handles the status icons. I’ve checked status icons under Pocilio icon folders and there are specific icons for 3G, 4G, WiFi, etc. The problem is ‘L (for LTE I think) with bars’ is superimposed over a WiFi icon.

With gnome icon pack:
system-tray-gnome-icon

With Papirus, on Ubuntu Budgie:
system-tray-papirus

With Papirus, on Ubuntu GNOME:
Screenshot%20from%202018-04-12%2015-25-19

Pocillo is made up of three icon sets in /usr/share/icons

Pocillo,
Faba
Moka

So if you can please try to identify which icon is causing the issue then we can fix it.

@fossfreedom I commented the Inherits line in index.theme for Pocillo icon and the mobile data icon is still messed up. Let me know if there are other ways I can try.

When I used Ubuntu Gnome with the Budgie Desktop, I had this issue, that was later gone. Now with the fresh 18.10 install the issue reappeared. I have to delete and re-add it …

I have a test budgie-network-applet that hopefully resolves this. Could you try this please?

If you haven’t already - enable our backports PPA

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie/backports

Then install the new applet:

sudo apt install budgie-network-applet

Logout and login and add the new “Network” applet via budgie-settings to your panel.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Happy 2019! I spent my early part testing your network-applet. So far, so good! No floating. Tried my Citrix app, which broke this badly before. While those taskbar icons seem to float for a good 5-10 seconds, a minimizing and maximizing of the screen and showing then hiding the taskbar again seems to do away with that for good, and all is well! I’ll test it more later in the day, but so far, GREAT work!

I found time to install and test the applet on my dell laptop only today. After logging back in, I was unable to add the system tray icon to the panel. It showed in the list, but wasn’t present in the panel. Purging the applet brought things back to normal. For the better, the system tray icon has not been showing any rogue behavior over the last couple of weeks. I just installed it today to give you a feedback.

Well, in some situations, the Citrix icons still float when the taskbar is hidden in intelligent or automatic modes. The wifi one, though, does not…

A few weeks before the upgrade to 19.04, the network icon on my panel started behaving rogue again, acting separate from the panel and staying on the opened windows, even if the panel is hidden. Moving the panel around solves the issue, but every time I restart Budgie, the problem with the icon is back. I had hope the update to 19.04 would fix the issue, but it is still there. Is there something I can try?

I use the network applet available through budgie welcome. That fixes things for me.

That worked greatly. I haven’t thought about looking for an applet different from the System Tray … my bab

Old thread revival I know, but on 18.04.4 LTS I have a weird intermittent wifi icon thing, doesn’t always happen… And then usually after a reboot it goes back to normal. I assume its a theme thing…
Weird icon:
Screenshot_2020-03-02a
Then after restart will go back to normal:
Screenshot_2020-03-02b