Windows, is norton antivirus actually a virus?

Currently trying to revive a workable windows machine in order to resolve a dispute with an sd card vendor.
The box had windows 8 on, hiding in a 50GB petition. Booted it up, looked for software, was told to upgrade to 8.1. That was several hours ago, I wonder when I’ll get my machine back?

Also trying to get windows onto an asus eee x101 box to see if the video is actually 1080p when the right drivers are in place.

Personal opinion, Norton and paid for AV are more problematic than free as they are always trying to trap the user into updating (and paying for) the latest AV.
Isnt Linux great we dont actually need av software.

My other thing about windows is its repetitive ‘dont close the computer we are doing updates’ type prompt.

1 Like

My other thing about windows is its repetitive ‘dont close the computer we are doing updates’ type prompt.

This. WTF wants a notebook to start updating on shutdown. I got places to be when I close my notebook. My train is not going to wait for my Windows update to finish. One of the MANY design decisions I consider stupid regardless how large their usability panel was. There are more but it will quickly become a rant so I’ll stop here.

Ubuntu is not perfect but at least I get to decide on ANYTHING I want to decide on. I liked Gnome2, Unity and did not like Gnome 3 from the start. I did not like them removing desktop icons. Budgie did let me have them so I switchted. In 20.04 the desktop icons are back and look really nice (I must admit) but they already lost me … I am sticking with Budgie for as long as possible. And since I was asked to join UB by Jacob and I started coding it will be a long time. I hope.

1 Like

One desktop icon is more than enough for lazily clicking into one’s file manager, best resized very small and renamed ‘.’ so as not to interfere too much with one’s fullscreen transparent terminal.

I need my icons on the desktop :slight_smile:

It’s the nice little touches that matter, like renaming that untitled folder to Entitled Folder