Global Menu Desktop/System

Hi, I am new here in the forum, using Ubuntu Budgie 20.10 and I have a problem with the Global Menu.
When I’m on the desktop I find the options Desktop and System in the Global Menu pull down.
Both options lead me to the system menu of Gnome.
Shouldn’t the Global Menu/Desktop open the settings for the Budgie Desktop Preferences?

Can you configure that somewhere?

Greetings from Vienna

Translated with DeepL

1 Like

Hi and Welcome!

I’m not sure what you mean by “system menu of GNOME” - but just to say, when you are on the desktop you are just seeing the menu presented by nemo-desktop - so basically the nemo file-manager component. So all menu stuff is related to whatever nemo is invoking.

I think I understand what the topic starter is trying to tell us. Since I use Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 with the Cupertino desktop layout, I also automatically use the Global Menu. Therefore I can understand the problem described. If you click on “Desktop” in the Global Menu, you are presented with two options: “Desktop Settings” and “System Settings”. One would expect that the two options presented to the user here also lead to two different settings menus, namely the “Budgie Desktop Settings” and the “Settings”. Both options, however, lead to the “System Settings” menu, which the topic starter calls the “system menu of GNOME”. This and the fact that the Global Menu for the Desktop, i.e. when no application is active, always remains in English, regardless of which system language is set, can be confusing for the user.

Hello and thank you, that is wonderfully to the point. This is exactly the problem and I thought I might be able to do a manual assignment to configure it to fit.

Greetings from Vienna

Translated with DeepL

1 Like

ok - the brilliant deduction by @samlane - the issue is within the global menu applet itself.

Sam has pushed a pull-request and the upstream maintainer has accepted it

This fix will be in the next release version of the global menu - that will depend when the maintainer releases a new version/microrelease - and then when the Debian maintainer packages it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
Then we await the things that are coming. :grinning:
Greetings from Vienna
With DeepL Translated

global menu doesnt seem to work with firefox

That’s because firefox is no longer being patched by Canonical to have menus suitable to the global menu.

1 Like

As David said, Firefox no longer supports the Global Menu. You can find more information in the following thread: 20.04 - Firefox not affected by Global Menu applet

1 Like