Screenshot shortcuts not working (by default?)

Note you still need to double press the Print Scr button (or whatever you have assigned).

I haven’t found a way to create an area select screenshot after single press Print Scr.

1 Like

I see the clip screenshot shortcut no longer works. I’ve been using Budgie for several months. It’s really good, but this lack of a feature is why I’m going to go back to regular Ubuntu. That clip screenshot is VERY useful. The Ctrl shortcut worked for a while, but now it doesn’t. Time to change again.

Same here but probably because the root cause was fixed in 20.10 and that has made its way to 20.04. With the script I used:

After the Budgie update i received today, my PrtSc button no longer seems to work.

1 Like

I just did a proper clean install of Ubuntu Budgie 20.10 and updated it. Just wondering why, out-of-the-box, there still is no Print Screen functionality?
Only Alt+PrintScr button works, creating a full screenshot. Any other combination or just PrintScr does not work.
I would expect the PrintScr button to at least do something out of the box. I understand we can now use dconf editor to use a different program, but what if all you need a to create a screenshot via the dedicated button?

1 Like

Ok. I have spent sometime at christmas looking at just this. I have discovered that the current budgie desktop print screen implementation is fundamentally flawed.

In layman’s terms you have two bits of budgie fighting over who is controlling and managing the print screen button and other key combinations. One is gnome-settings-daemon and one is budgie-window-manager.

Who wins depends on your computer. Some people have all or most key combinations. Some have few or none.

Basically this whole area needs to be rewritten either to comply with gnome-settings-daemon requirements … or to drop gnome-settings-daemon completely and manage every bit of device management by budgie itself. Both are big bits of work … the latter is the budgie v11 approach.

Whether there is a third way needs to be investigated further. Let’s see.

1 Like

I have test code that I’m hoping resolves this issue. So for any 20.10 users please can you give this package a try and let me know what you find?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/unstable-test
sudo apt upgrade
reboot --

What’s hopefully fixed:

1. Keyboard shortcuts for print/window/area are defined by Menu - Keyboard i.e. no longer defined by dconf budgie-desktop/wm
  2. Taking window screenshots no longer includes the background surrounding the window
  3. Shouldn’t need to double tap/other combinations to invoke screenshots
  4. Should work in all combinations with gnome-screenshot as well i.e. run gnome-screenshot and use the various settings available.

To revert after testing:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-test/unstable-test
reboot --
1 Like

Works perfect!
I did notice:

1. Area select screenshot: it is saved in the Pictures folder.
  2. screenshot of whole screen: it is saved in Pictures/Screenshots folder.

Even though (I did not modify this):

gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
''

I would prefer screenshots to always go to Pictures/screenshots

Also “Record a short screencast” does not work, but I am not sure if it ever did, I did not find such an option in Gnome-Screenshot. So I’ll ignore that one.

Best of all: the Print button now reacts immediately!
I only switched the functionality of Print with Area Print and I am very happy now :slight_smile:

@fossfreedom I haven’t had much time lately, but thought you should be aware the solution you provided resulted for scenario 1 (area select screenshots that appear in Pictures folder) in “partial” screenshots: only a small corner of the selected area is actually saved as screenshot.

I thought it had to do with scaling, but it happens even with scaling off.

thx - yeah - I’m not happy with the area selection method. This needs a rethink and as such more effort to resolve. Its going to be a 21.10 goal now.

1 Like

Thanks and no worries, for now I just create full screenshots and crop them with gThumbs :slight_smile:

Really the only thing I dislike with my Budgie experience are the partial (125%) scaling issues: several apps (Spotify, Zoom, AnyDesk) appear tiny with no obvious solution. There is a solution, but it differs per app, usually changing an app-specific config file or its .desktop file (which can get overridden after an update).

Nothing you can do about, I understand this might be solved with QT4, but that will take lots of time.

Other than that its been good :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I would recommend the Screenshot app (gnome-screenshot).

You can capture the screen, a window or a selection, remove the pointer, and delay (convenient for sub-menus). It’s not as fast as a key shortcut but it is more powerful and gives you a few fine-tuning options. Kind of the equivalent of the Snipping Tool on Windows.

Last I heard, Budgie (11) will not go with QT4 but stick to GTK.

Does not it depend on where your store your launchers ?
In ~/.local/share/applications they should not get overriden.

For some months now my « PrntScreen » key plays come and go although I’ve checked many suggested places for trying to « fix » it ( 20.04 here ).

The Budgie applet screenshot widget plays nicely eventually.

Or just pin in your dock / panel « gnome-screenshot » as already suggested by @mezcalbert which is default part of UbuntuBudgie.
Maybe add some « actions » to its launcher ( I did not check if it’s doable ).
After checking → Bug #1720262 “gnome-screenshot Actions don't work in Wayland” : Bugs : gnome-shell package : Ubuntu therefore Bug #1916666 “gnome-screenshot : desktop actions are broken” : Bugs : gnome-screenshot package : Ubuntu

Gnome-screenshot also has some strange behaviors with « border of the window » and « shadow effect » you might let those turned off.

WHen I use CTRL + SHIFT + PRINT to copy an area I select to clipboard, I don’t see the RECTANGLE selection when dragging the mouse…

I didn’t see a definitive/straitghforward solution above. I was able to fix this by using Dconf to set the fullscreen capture command to gnome-screenshot with the argument to show the dialog.

Key: com.solus-project.budgie-wm.full-screenshot-cmd
Value: /usr/bin/gnome-screenshot -i

I cleared the other two strategies (represented by neighboring configs in the same list) to just to make the config unambiguous.

← Screenshot of dialog (can’t currently post more than one image in a single post)