Show us your Budgie Desktop

I don’t think there’s a way to automatically align the icons that way. I just put them on the right side so that they don’t get mixed in with the “temporary” icons that result from files recently added to the desktop. I’m constantly looking for ways to better manage my overall workflow and this minor tweak is a hold over from my MATE days. Yeah, the video was my excuse to try doing a bit of video editing in Shotcut which I hadn’t used since I moved over to Ubuntu Budgie this past Spring. You may have noticed that about 7 seconds from the end of the video the time displayed on the desktop suddenly jumps forward almost an hour, lol. That’s what I get for editing a video while the Earth was passing through a black hole…

1 Like

I like that desaturated wallpaper and how it integrates with the slightly cartoonish font and the dock with those vintage looking icons. The overall feeling with no windows displayed is retro yet dynamic.

I already mentioned it but I am not a fan of desktop icons.

But the real issue for me is the theme.

First, I’m getting absolutely tired of that very primary flashy blue color for selection and folder icons. It’s in most themes these days and I find it ugly. Which is weird because blue is my favorite color.
Please themers and distro maintainers, enough with that blue already!

Then, the contrast between black, dark gray blue and dark gray doesn’t work for me here.
It’s of course partly subjective but also partly a general rule (for clothes, granted), black and blue or red and blue are difficult to pair well together.

Sorry if that 2nd part sounded negative. Don’t want to kill your vibe. Of course, the most important is that you like it whatever I think of it.

1 Like

20.10 with owl for Halloween.

7 Likes

Hi from Gorna Oriakhovitsa , Bulgaria.

5 Likes

After updating to the new version (20.10) I felt the urge to give my DE a new face. I spent some time practicing with all the new and exciting features and applets that now come with the distro, even with some that have been there all the time, but which potential I never truly explored, like the Global Menu and the Icon Task List.

After the installation, I went for the “The One” preconfigured layout and it was a good choice. I found the preconfiguration options very helpful to have, since they are giving me a quick overview and good insight into all the exciting possibilities of the UB desktop.

In the past, I have NEVER used the panel with auto-hide off, or an additional panel. I always figured that constantly present panels might obfuscate the screen, but instead I found the space it invaded of the screen less than minimal, and exciting to have all the stuff I need right at hand. Without the accidental clicks between the applets on the panel and the Firefox tabs. Pixel-saver is a must for me, though.

Ubuntu Budgie is getting ever more sophisticated and beautiful over the time, even when one might think that all the possibilities for betterment could have been exhausted. I can only congratulate the Budgie Team for this truly great work.

Here is what my current desktop looks like:

Icons: Paper;
Gtk3-Theme: Ultimate-Maia-Blue;
Budgie desktop theme: The One;
Background: Having my leftist period (somewhere between George Orwell and Karl Marx);

6 Likes

Ah, ah ! It’s been a couple of years I use UBudgie exactly for these, pixel-saver and global-menu applets.

Yes, I know I am late :slight_smile: . The pixel-saver I have been using for years, too, but the Global Menu’s utility I could only explore after the update. It is really helpful.

It’s also been years global-menu is available :wink:

Just started out and thought I’d add in my obligatory first post. I have the minimal install (no office or anything else so far unless I need it.) I’ve got UB 20.10 triple-booted on MBP-2015 alongside Win10 and macOS Catalina. Hoping I can use UB for remote work applications without having to boot into the Win10 partition, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

I got to know and appreciate Ubuntu in the versions 16.04 and 18.04. With version 20.04 I switched to Ubuntu Budgie, because the standard Ubuntu didn’t really suit me any longer, but especially not my already old laptop. I’ve been using Ubuntu Budgie for about half a year now, and I really like it. It runs smoothly and without any problems on my privately used PC. And thanks to this excellent Budgie forum, I’ve learned so much about Ubuntu Budgie that I now feel at home with this distribution.

I have tried all the themes and layouts offered through Budgie Welcome. Two of my three favourite themes are Arc and Mojave, but both of them have small display errors here and there, which are quite annoying in the long run. That’s why I finally chose Plata, because it looks really good and just seems to work best in combination with the Budgie desktop. Plata in combination with the Cupertino desktop layout – that’s my Ubuntu Budgie!

Theme: Plata-Compact
Icons: Papirus
Desktop layout: Cupertino
Mouse pointer: Paper
Font: Ubuntu Regular 11
Wallpaper: Wallpapers for Ubuntu on WallpaperSafari

3 Likes

The Lucid Lynx wallpaper :smiley: returns.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn’t even know that the wallpaper I chose was a Lucid Lynx. To be honest, so far I’ve assumed that it shows an angry-looking penguin. Well, you can be mistaken. But that doesn’t matter, I’m a cat person anyway, so I just like this wallpaper even more. :smiley_cat:

The wallpaper was created in 2010 for the 10.04 release code name Lucid Lynx .

2 Likes

3 Likes

looks like robot is going to rule the world like in american movies :smiley:

This robot kind of reminds me of the Malwarebytes wallpapers. See for yourself: https://nl.malwarebytes.com/wallpapers/

2 Likes

4 Likes

Finally I found some nice wallpapers with the Ubuntu Budgie logo. This one is my current favourite. It fits perfectly to the Plata theme.

Wallpaper: Material Twilight Linux Wallpapers by Karl Schneider

1 Like

I’ve just recently installed Ubuntu Budgie (which I’m loving by the way, despite those initial bluetooth problems hehehe) and still testing the waters.
Great to be a part of this community.